Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Transitions
This morning I was reading CNN.COM and took special notice of some pictures of President-Elect Obama's children preparing for their first day of school. In the first few pictures they appear to be an average, everyday family, backpacks and smiles, last minutes words of advice and hugs...then it all changes, you see the little one peering out the window of a limo as a motorcade takes her to school, her mother, the school principal, and the secret service detail surrounding her as they enter the building, and you think, life has certainly changed for this family. In our home we have been transitioning for several weeks, in the past week we have finally moved my wife and daughters from Florida to West Virginia, and now my children are awaiting their first day of school...transition is tough! I think that transition is useful and necessary, that it is the vehicle that moves us from what is and was into what can and will be, from the past into the present and into the future. Transition is hard, in a pregnancy it's the moment that decides if life will begin or end, will you deliver or will you die, there is pain in the choice to deliver and live, it's painful, but rewarding if you can endure the process! This week we begin a journey for the next 21 days into seeking the Lord for the new year, each day for 21 days we will read one chapter in the Gospel of John, I look forward to John 1:12 which says, "As many that received Him, to them He gave power to become the sons of God!" It's that process thing, transition, movement, and productivity. It's understanding that if we're going to go somewhere we've got to go somewhere! In His time...we'll get there!

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Great word Pastor Neil, though we can't hang out any more, I can still enjoy your writings. Charity and I also went on a 21 day fast earlier this week for some specific things. I pray all is going well with you and the family. I'm actually looking forward to our own time of transitioning, concerning ministry. Brother Cushman from the COG wants to sit with us next week, probably to update our file for the new year, but who knows. God bless!

Darrell said...

Good stuff Neil. I was sharing at church Wednesday night how that as I've gotten older, I am in the process of becoming one who resists change, and how I now have to work at accepting and receiving the change that is necessary in our lives to grow. More than ever before, I believe we are on the verge of God doing something , powerful and exciting in our midst, but if we plant ourselves we will miss it. As you said, we've got to go in order go somewhere. The river is flowing... will we go with it, or grab hold of something that will anchor us to the past like so many generations that have come before us. I'm letting go.