Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I Quit
As the father of a six year old I remain candidly aware of the frustration that comes when things just aren't going your way. You should see the eye rolling that takes place when she can't make something work or if it isn't happening the way she thinks it should. Understand, this little one is passive, she isn't obstinate or rebellious, she is actually quite easy going...so if it isn't working it's easier to quit than continue...let's just do something else.
I've felt that way a few times, some days it would be easier to give up and to give in than it is to go on. Sometimes I think it would be great to live like a hermit out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing, involved with no one...And to just quit!
In my walk with the Lord I've felt that way a few times, usually when I didn't understand what God was doing in my life at the moment, or when I was frustrated and couldn't make it work my way, or when I was broke...God never moves fast enough or uniquely enough when we're broke...where is Ed McMahon when you need him? I've moved several times during my 27 years of ministry and Ed's promise of millions always follows me, but he can never seem to find my house...I have to admit I have wanted to quit life on more than one occasion and then...
I read scriptures like Deuteronomy 8 where God says that He provided my wilderness so that He could provide for me, so that He could find out what was really in my heart and bless me...And that while I was in the wilderness struggling...He was still providing! I read verses in Hebrews 12 that remind me that He is the author and finisher of my faith and that it was His joy to be shamed and endure the cross so that I can finish the race...and He sums it all up by reminding us that we haven't resisted unto blood yet!
Today I more determined than ever not to quit, to teach my daughters the advantage of remaining in the race, to tell others that they can win if they refuse to quit...And to keep running until there's no where else to run except across the finish line!

No comments: