Wednesday, June 27, 2007

When Will This Be That?
It's almost 2:00 AM and I can't sleep. My wife is sound asleep and has to be at work by 7:15, so I need to be nice and not watch television, and laying in the bed tossing and turning is a real bore...So it's time to write. I've created a new myspace, a huge step for me, more of that stretching stuff, it's pretty cool to enter this new world, at least new for me! Being the contemplative person that I am there's a question in my spirit that has to be answered. Read Acts chapter 2 and you find Peter boldly proclaiming that this outpouring of the Holy Spirit is the fulfillment of Joel's prophecy that in the last days God is going to pour out His Spirit upon all flesh. I truly believe that the outpouring of that day was the beginning of something awesome, it birthed a fresh awareness of God and empowered normal men and women to accomplish the ministry of Jesus Christ...it was not an end though, it was a beginning. The question in my mind is simple: "Is this it?" I know I've written about this previously, but the question continues, is this we are presently experiencing all there is or is there more, and if there is more when will we experience it? It seems that we live on the edge of the next great move all the time, yet never quite arrive there. Could it be that the outpouring that began on the Day of Pentecost has never ceased, but that it has shifted, and that only those with eyes to see, and ears to hear, and faith to walk out the revelation that has already been given will partake of what God is doing? Yesterday it rained at our house, I mean it pounded, hail fell from the sky, it was amazing! Yet at the same time, my wife was going to work, less than three miles from our home and it didn't rain one drop. I'm reminded of the servant of Israel's king that heard the prophecy of Elijah that famine was ending and food would arrive on a certain day. The servant said, "If God made windows in heaven, might this thing be?" The prophet said, " You will see it with your eyes but you will not partake of it!" I am convinced that rain is not only coming, it is here, we just have to get in it!

1 comment:

Darrell said...

I agree with you on this Neil. I believe that out-pouring has never stopped, yet many never partake. Often times it is because we have our own agendas and desires. Often we are too busy with "life" to stop and seek God, and we miss what he is wanting to do through us. I think we would be greatly surprised at what the Holy Spirit would do in and through us if we were truly living sanctified lives and walking in tune with Him. It's kind of like when you are in the ocean trying to ride the waves, but you get to talking or whatever and you miss the best wave. You have to learn to read the rhythm of the ocean and go with it.
I think it is that way in the spirit realm as well. We are so busy with our own stuff that when the wave comes, it passes us by before we even realize it. We have to get so in tune with what God is doing that we anticipate it and just go with it when the next wave comes. That's something I have been praying for, that the Lord would teach me to stay with what he is doing rather than trying to ride the last wave too far or create something on my own.

Anyway... good, thought provoking post Neil.